Thursday 7 November 2019

Lemaire Channel

Convention seems to mandate the expressed 'best day of your life' as either the day of your marriage, or the birthdays of your kids. Which always makes me think that not much exciting has happened since in the marriage, and/or that the kids turned out a little disappointing.

Anyway, probably this day, but maybe the next, or the one after, were the best days of my life.

After the chill of the polar plunge had worn off (courtesy of a couple glasses of Malbec), captain Yuli and Solan our expedition leader suggested that favourable weather and brash ice meant we might have a crack at the Lemaire Channel for sunset.

Well I've never watched a sunset take 6 hours and to still be happening at midnight, through towering Tolkien pillars, such that the entire time I was thinking of Roy Batty - and I'm not sure if that was because Rutger Hauer died this year a couple days before mum, or just that it's always been my favourite line from my favourite movie:

"I've seen things, you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate... All those memories will be lost in time, like tears in rain."

It was so calm and awesome, everyone up on the decks knew they were witness to something extraordinary. Mum and Roy (dad) would have loved this. So a fitting finale for one of the best days ever.

Too lucky.



























No comments:

Post a Comment